There’s a Joke in the SEO world: “if you want to commit a murder, bury the body on page 2 of an internet search.” Think back how many times did you go to page two or three? The question then becomes- How can I get past these big players? The answer is you probably can’t. You can, howeve,r use alternate meanst o go around them and secure business. It will require more work. Of my two last clients one found me through my website and one through a social media post.
Fascinating Google Stats (bluelist.co)
- Google has 90.46% of the search engine market share worldwide.
- 15% of all searches have never been searched before on Google.
- Google receives over 63,000 searches per second on any given day.
- Google has a market value of $739 billion.
- An average person conducts 3–4 searches every single day.
Gone are the days where you could put up a simple website, include the all the keywords in your metadata and get business. So is SEO dead? In a competitive Market perhaps not dead but transformed into another being. In my business with so many Excel Users and so many businesses creating complex uses of excel, Access and Word I only need to snag a tiny portion of those Google Searches to have a viable business. So far it seems to be working.
My Other Strategies
Google factors in a number of things in what is called the Google Search Algorithm. PageRank (PR) is an used by Google Search to rank web pages in their search engine results. PageRank was named after Larry Page, one of the founders of Google. PageRank is a way of measuring the importance of website pages. Past history and the number of prior search hits is said to play a role on your placement. So, this is a long game. Whatever your Strategy, it will take time.
1. Join relevant groups
2. Create posts in those that demonstrate you are a subject matter expert. To satisfy my creative side, I love to create tools that allow me to polish my skills.
3. Give away free stuff- the aforementioned tools
4. Create and write a meaningful Blog with quality content.
5. Build a portfolio of past jobs that you can point to demonstrate you deliver on what you promise and your customers would do business with you again.
Your goal is to get enough people to your site to get business.